Three Angels has been committed to orphaned children since 2003. We have successfully placed over 100 children with families in Haiti, the United States and Canada. Our orphanage, or crèche, is licensed by IBESR (Institut du Bien Etre Social et de Recherches), the Haitian Social Services authority.
The well-being of these children is our highest priority. We maintain an very low child-to-caregiver ratio and strive to create a home-like environment. The children have dedicated 24-hour care with assigned nannies to encourage healthy attachments. As children grow, they are educated in an English-speaking, Christian-based homeschool setting to promote appropriate academic transitions. Nannies are trained in the latest caregiving techniques, including tailored play sessions and massage. All children are screened for HIV, Hepatitis, TB and Sickle Cell. They receive regular check-ups and have access to the Three Angels Medical Clinic as well as Bernard Mevs Hospital in Port-au-Prince.
We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the many challenges of adopting from Haiti. Adoptions can take anywhere from 12-24 months. Haiti has recently altered their requirements:
- Private adoptions are no longer permitted. Applicants must use an adoption agency that is approved by IBESR (Haitian Social Services)
- Couples must be married for 5 years
- One parent must be 30 years of age (single applicants must be 35) and no applicant can be more than 50 years of age
- There is no longer a limit on biological or adoptive children in applicant families
- IBESR will no longer allow dispensation, or exception, for applicants who do not meet the above requirements
All families must use a pre-approved adoption agency to prepare their dossier and help them through the adoption process. Three Angels no longer processes Independent Adoptions.
Your family will be required to make a two week “bonding” trip to Haiti when given a referral from IBESR. This will included periods of observation between family and child by IBESR.
There will also be an additional trip for Parquet and Embassy appointments.
- Application: Families must complete the Three Angels adoption application and be approved for adoption.
- Agency Referral: Once approved, families must utilize an approved partner agency. This is an IBESR requirement.
- Dossier Preparation: The adoption agency will guide the family through the dossier completion process. This is a lengthy paperwork marathon, and it will be necessary to work closely with the agency to ensure the dossier is compiled correctly.
- Home Study: Families will need to utilize a pre-approved, licensed agency to complete their home study. This is an important part of the process; therefore, we require the agency to be familiar with Haitian adoption requirements.
- USCIS Approval (US Families only): Home Studies are reviewed by both the Haitian government and the United States government. The Office of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will require all applicants to complete an I-600A application.
- Child Referral & Selection: After the family’s dossier is completed, it will be sent to Three Angels for review and then to Haiti for legal review and submission to IBESR. After submission, IBESR will send the parents/agency a referral letter inviting them on a two-week bonding trip to meet the child(ren) they are matched with. The parents then confirm that they want to proceed with this match.
- The Waiting: This can be a challenging step for any family as the dossier is guided by our legal team through the Haitian adoption process. This is where faith, grace, and perseverance will be a requirement. While waiting, we make every effort to provide monthly updates to families including photos, videos, and developmental progress. We encourage families to visit as they are able.
- Coming Home: The exciting final step when the visa is ready and your child is ready to travel to be with their forever family.
Ready to get started or have a few questions? Please contact Leah Ballock, Three Angels Adoption Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office: 661.476.9729